Name That Piano !!

Wed, 4 Jun 2003 01:37:30 +0200

Hi Terry!

Sorry for the late reply. I've had some trouble with my mailaccount. The
bridge is undercut, yes. Probably to get the speaking lenghts 'correct' and
at the same time getting the bridge as far into the more vibrating area of
the soundboard as possible, just like Blüthners. On really old Malmsjögrands
you also find a 'sole' on the bassbridge, just like the one you find on
uprights, wich gives them the possibility to have longer bassstrings without
getting to close to where the soundboard is glued to the rim. They sound
bigger than they really are. We measured the speaking lenghts of the last
bassstrings on a 189cm malmsjögrand and compared it to a Bechstein model A's
(185cm). The difference was about 10cm.

Best regards,
Daniel Lindholm

> > Wow, it looks like they can't make a long bridge any more accurate than
me. The bridge pins on the speaking side are very near the edge of the
bridge. Is this bridge undercut on the front or back sides at all? I would
hope they intended this arrangement - for what advantage?