Nightmares of the Modern Age

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:19:24 -0500

Lost my secondary hard drive this morning. Bltzfghbppppp .....

Family finance data ...
Family pictures ...
All business correspondence, forms, etc. ...

... gone.  Just little blips in data heaven.

Thanks for the bug in an otherwise pretty darned good system (XP), Bill!

My message:

Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back
it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it
up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up!
Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back
it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it
up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up! Back it up!
Back it up! Back it up! B A C K   I T   U P !   ... 'till the cows come
home.

Other than that, life's a peach.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

Gory details: Internet Explorer got all screwed up, wouldn't work right.
Tried to reinstall latest version--Microsoft product downloaded from
Microsoft site into Microsoft operating system. Got a Microsoft message box:
Product doesn't pass our digital signature logo something-or-other and WILL
NOT BE INSTALLED. (!)

Backed up everything from C: drive (primary, has operating system) onto
drive E: (the soon-to-be-obliterated drive). Ran System Recovery that is
supposed to set up the C: drive exactly as it was the day I took it out of
the big box.

Didn't change ANYTHING on the C: drive. All the stuff's still there, all the
programs on it run, and Internet Explorer is still hosed. But it did wipe
out the E: drive --- Very perverse: Some folders remained, some were gone
and almost all folders were empty, wiped slick. Ran data recovery software
and disk maintenance software ... nada.