Malmsjo

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:59:09 -0700 (GMT)

Hi Phil!

Hi Daniel.  Thanks for the reply and thanks for posting the Malmsjo pictures on your site.  An interesting piano.

>Malmsj. is one of the most common brands in Sweden. You see those old
grands
>everywhere. Unfortunatly they dissapeared just like the rest of the
Swedish
>pianomakers.

And like pianomakers everywhere.

>  Malmsj. was very inspired by Steinway (or should we say they
>were copying Steinway designs) wich can easily be seen by looking at
them.
>Malmsj. had some workers from Steinway, but I think that was after the
time
>when they looked really much the same.
>
>I think a chinese manufacturer bought all the machines etc from some
Malmsj.
>when they stopped building pianos (I think they also bought Nordiska
>pianofabrikens equipment).

Perhaps you'll soon see chinese Malmsjos just like we're now seeing here chinese and korean pianos with famous old American piano names.

>The instruments are pretty great, but I dont think that the sample-set
you
>have heard really reflects how good. The sample-set sounds just like the
>average old Malmsj.grand with the original hammers (dull with a
guitarrish
>bass). They can really sound good and the handcraft was very nice. Robust
>instruments with lots of power. Not like Steinway, but still something we
>Swedes are alittle proud of ;)
>
>I really dont know much about the history of Malmsj. and I dont know
where
>to get more information about them.
>
>I know this url has been posted before, but here is a very unusual grand
>made by Malmsj. - the banana-grand :)
>http://stockholm.music.museum/samlingar/banan.html
>
>Daniel

Have you seen this piano yourself?  Does the museum allow it to be
played?  Are there others outside of museums?

Regards,

Phil F

Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration