Historical Pianos

Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:31:34 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Ford" <fordpiano@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 04, 2003 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: Historical Pianos

> Here's one quote from the site which might be of interest:
>
> "The variety of different pianos, which could still be found around 1900,
was displaced by a boring uniformity. The modern piano is the result of a
development, which increased in the USA in late 19th century and which
swapped over the whole piano-building and -playing world. So it happens
that almost all modern pianos sound more or the less similar, because they
are built following the same principal rules of construction. One may
object to this opinion that the modern piano is the last step of a
"darwinistic" process. At the moment we can watch industrial
massproduction, in which cultural dullness and global greed are mirrored."

Ah...at least in the context of the above quote--a man after my own heart!

Del