Banana grand

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 15:50:16 -0400

Looking at the picture I wonder some about certain of the design elements=20
in this piano http://stockholm.music.museum/samlingar/banan.html. First and=
=20
foremost I'd love to hear it played. Secondly, I wonder how the action was=
=20
made in order to accommodate the instrument. Seems like it should have a=20
very uneven feel. Third and of highest interest at this point is the board=
=20
and bridge structure. I really like the shape of the board but wonder if=20
this too should or does employ the use of a cutoff bar. I'd like to see the=
=20
shape of the near side or belly rail edge of the board stop directly under=
=20
the plate support strut cross bars. If that's their real name. This should=
=20
produce a kind of a snow shoe, or tear drop, or pear shape. I'm intrigued=20
by this as a soundboard shape because it loosely follows what is done in=20
speaker technology. Larger area for lower tones and smaller area for higher=
=20
tones. It strikes me that following this inner line also make equal areas=20
of board on both sides of the bridge. Anyone know of a recording or an MP3=
=20
file using this piano?

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Fort=E9