Viennese Grand Action Regulation

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 01:05:39 EDT

Hello list,

Just got through tuning a 200 cm Bechstein grand built in 1891.  All in all,
it was a pretty sweet sounding piano.  Except for the action.  It's a viennese
type action, and it's noisy.  I guess that's the nature of the beast.

I am curious if anyone can point me to information regarding the regulation
of these actions.  The capstan arrangement seems unnecessarily complex.  And
how does one align the jack to the knuckle?  Didn't have time to mess around
with it, but I'm very curious about this piano.  And has anyone come up with a
way to quiet the actions a bit?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Stahl