YC Growing Brackets

Allan Gilreath agilreath@mindspring.com
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:17:50 -0400

Terry,

The keybed on these instruments is held in by the screws as you noticed
and two guide dowels.  It can be removed while the piano is horizontal
but is much easier when it's turned on a skid.  One caveat when removing
the keybed, be sure to measure the spread between the insides of the rim
and make sure that it is set back at this measurement when you reinstall
the keybed.  Young Chang's don't move much if any but some others can
compress substantially...

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 6:44 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: YC Growing Brackets

Well, yes, loosening or removing the keybed did occur to me - I saw that
it had many screws holding it in - I didn't know if that was all that
was holding it in - some are morticed, etc. - just don't know about a YC
- but then also you would have to remove the legs, and then you have the
weight of the piano - I just figured that was a very last resort. How
would you use a pinblock support jack to increase the distance between
the pinblock and keybed if the action is stuck in the action cavity?
Just didn't seem to me to be a good option - only a last resort.

Terry Farrell