Buying a piano

Fri, 6 Jun 2003 12:28:08 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mark Davidson=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: June 04, 2003 3:54 AM
  Subject: Re: heavy Steinway action

  Okay, let's give you guys some more information (no don't have 88 SWs =
yet, just a little history).

  First, I am actually the customer, not a technician.  If I knew then =
what I know now would I buy this piano -- probably not. =20
  So problem #1 is simply ignorance.  Probably true for most customers.  =
I, probably like most people (piano techs excluded),=20
  do not expect to have significant issues with such an instrument.

  Keep in mind that Steinway pianos are not bought from the factory, =
they are bought from dealers.  Some dealers are better than others. =20
  I had a choice of three L's locally, none of which were prepped (we're =
talking ZERO prep aside from tuning).  One could not be played because =
it
  still had the packing material in the keyboard (they took it out while =
I was in the store).  Shocked? Welcome to reality.

Mark, et al.,

No. I'm not at all shocked. This is, sadly, the status quo for many =
piano dealers. The phenomena is not at all restricted to the sellers of =
Steinway pianos.

And this is why I recommend that the prospective purchaser arrange to =
play any piano he/she is planning to spend a goodly part of his/her life =
with for at least an hour or two in the dealers facility before handing =
over any money. The piano should be tuned and voiced. At least =
generally. It may need a bit more voicing after delivery but the voice =
should be smooth, even and generally in the ballpark. The action should =
be in good working condition and fully and finally regulated. Again, it =
may need some touch-up regulation after being played for a few months =
but the action should be comfortable to the artist before the piano =
arrives in his/her home.=20

If the dealer and his technical staff cannot (or will not) make the =
piano perform to an acceptable level in the showroom how are we to have =
any confidence that he can do this once the piano is in our home?

There are some obvious exceptions. One would be the customer who is =
asking for something outside of the norm. The dealer should not be =
expected to modify the piano prior to any sale.=20

Nor should one expect the same level of in-store prepwork on the =
"Weekend Special Grand Piano Sale! Prices Starting At Just $4,995! Get =
The Brand New Heirloom Quality Grand of Your Dreams Today! Free Tuning =
and Delivery!" But surely expecting a $30,000 to $100,000+ piano to be =
in proper tune and voice and with a properly regulated and balanced =
action should not be too much to ask. These are, after all, supposed to =
be musical instruments.=20

And the wheeler-dealer who has wrangled every last dime of profit out of =
the deal should not expect the same level of service as the buyer who is =
willing to pay a reasonable price to the dealer in exchange for a =
reasonable level of service.

Yes, I know. It would also help if the dealer didn't grossly inflate the =
marked prices to confuse everyone who walked in the door. But one =
problem at a time. Many technicians, if consulted, can offer advice on =
what any given piano should cost and thus help the buyer wade through =
the B.S.

All this is basic advice we all, as technicians, should be giving our =
customers. And it is the level of service every purchaser of a high-end =
piano should be insisting on before purchasing something as personal and =
expensive as a Steinway (or whatever) grand piano.

Let's face it, both the manufacturer and the dealer stand to make a =
considerable profit from this exchange. They should be expected to =
perform at least this minimal level of pre-sale service. If the dealer =
is unable or unwilling to provide this service to the prospective =
customer prior to the sale, why on earth should we expect them to =
provide it after the check has cleared the bank?

Many dealers may well balk at this. But if enough piano buyers end up =
going elsewhere, who knows, perhaps even the most reluctant of them will =
get the picture.

Del