Buying a piano

Fri, 06 Jun 2003 22:02:10 +0200

Greg Newell wrote:

> Del et al.,
>
> I wish this response were published in every magazine and newspaper
> across the country. That might give them something to think about.
>
> Greg Newell

While agreeing 100 percent with the sentiment... I dont believe it will
make a hoot of difference. Pianos are by and large sold to a retailer,
who does with them as he / she sees fit. Even the best of "authorized
retailers" are not directly tied to the manufacturing Company. Probably
the only exceptions are things that can be loosely called factory
outlets... like perhaps a Steinway Hall. Even there you are always going
to find some measure of things that need to / could use improvements.
The farther away you get from the source... the less responsibility ties
there seem to be.

All in all... I think its ok. Most people are pretty well able to adapt
and when put to it really dont want to put out the extra money anyways.
Those that do can just as well pay their local expert as some prep
person at the factory. In some ways thats better as long as the local
chap is up to the task.

Even Yamahas, perhaps the best prepped and most consistant instruments
off the factory line always need a reasonable amount of tweaking.

All this said... I certainly understand the frustration... its why I get
so pee'd at Petrof so much. I am convinced that could actually be a big
time great instrument if they only...... :)

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne