Hammer shape - Steinway (Hamburg)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 13:28:02 +0200

Hello,

A few comments :

The piano is  a S&S D (Hamburg)  28 years old, but the hammers/shanks
have been changed 12 years before.

So these are the ancient kind of original Steinway Hamburg hammers,
with Kotibe moldings (actually "American" maple) (they have been
walnut moldings till 1965-70 (year unknown precisely )

The felt was denser and there where more felt than actually, the
moldings where thinner in the treble too.

They begin to use Wurzen in the 90' , then the molding changed for a
white wood (American maple I believe) - they begin to use Wurzen at
this moment I guess (unless a different Wurzen quality was employed
before, I am more inclined to think they used VGF felt, another felt
make in Germany)

Nowadays, these heads where made by Renner (as actually) for Steinway.

No under felt in the treble (never have seen on Hamburg Steinways)

The way the basement (the battery) have been "drained" is clearly
seen, they are not toning well, the tone is very strong and immediate,
with emphasis on higher partials and a lot of knocking, the coloration
and warmness is poor. It was just the last voicing before changing
them, as the piano is in a large studio the power is not a problem, a
little supplement of strength have been given, with the tension of the
key frame, then the piano is very well accepted as it is despite new
heads should be sounding better. it is fun to see how an experienced
tech can have an acceptable tone from these instruments under less
than optimum conditions.

The shape is typical of the wanted shape for Hamburg instruments. I
understand that it is a tad pear shaped because of the battery
needling that enlarge the basement and the top shoulders . Usually
when new the shape is more diamond looking as Andre said recently
(with the Wurzen filz it is necessary nowadays, because of the
mellowness of that fiber, a round shape is absorbing too much high
partials and strength.

The shape is given by sanding with emery cloth, one side, then the
other, 80 to 120 grit, then 360-400 backed linen or 3M finishing film
and it is always lightly sanded with very fine grits (the magic 3M
micro finishing film that goes from 100 grit to 3000 or so) and also
finished with a hot iron, we see the marks of the ironing on the
sides.

The biggest problem in this place is that the air is so dry all along
the winter that the hammer's fiber is too brittle then and it break to
easily. The new Wurzen hammers resist better to that, their fiber
looking as if it where treated with woolite or such, keep more of a
"moisten" structure in the dry season.

The one and only Renner blue hammer I've seen looks like Wurzen filz
to me, but the pressing was very different from usual

The lower shoulders where not pressed a lot and the battery was not
very firm (and no agrafes to hold the felt there)
I felt they where expecting the resiliency to be given mostly by the
fiber, but without the presence of a firm foundation, and the pressing
of corse harden the internal layers some.

The Wurzen is slightly yellow/grayish in color with reflects as with
cashmere wool. It react very well under the needle, can be hardened
,compressed, or made more springy easily and without a lot of needling
as said by Andre.

If needled hard, it stiffen (but care !),if needled firm/strong it is
made resilient, if needled lightly or slowly the tension is
distributed more softly (and with less result).

The tone with this is very warm and full with preeminence of lower
partials, until the piano have been played a bit and higher partials
take more place in the spectra. The springiness is also coming back
easily if over needling.

The felt is probably more expensive than others, but it is actually
used on all the production from Renner (I was said).

I will ask them again, but sometime it is not easy to know all the
"secrets" !

Greetings

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.