Hammer assist spring ?

Sat, 07 Jun 2003 10:49:41 +0200

Ron Overs wrote:

> >Why not a hammer assist spring instead of whippen assist spring ? .....
>

> >I just know there has got to be a few great reasons why this is
> >ridiculous :)  But humour me ok ?
> >
> >Cheers
> >RicB
>
> The first and most compelling reason for not fitting an assist spring
> to the hammer is that the hammer travels through a much larger arc of
> rotation than the wippen, which would cause any assistance given to
> reduce more dramatically as the hammer rotates around its centre.

Yes... one knows this for sure... and magnets would do no better really, but
on the other hand... once the hammer is moving it needs less help to keep
moving. And isnt this at least to some degree dependant on how a spring is
deployed ? What about a spring much like the most usual of whippen assist
springs... attached to the hammer shank flange straight out along the shank
line ? It would have to be fairly strong of course....

JAT

> This progressively reducing assist force is one of the disadvantages
> of assist springs. The wippen, by virtue of it small degree of
> rotation, is the more practical of the two levers to assist. We have
> reduced the lack of linearity by including an extra coil in the
> spring. And yes I agree with you Bill (Ballard), when there is no
> adjustment screw, setting the assist spring pressure is nothing short
> of a pain.

Agreed. Big time... tho doable... and hey... thats why they pay us the big
bucks !! :)