Hammer assist spring ?

Sat, 7 Jun 2003 09:45:37 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: St=E9phane Collin=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: June 07, 2003 7:49 AM
  Subject: Re: Hammer assist spring ?

  Hello Ric.

  But if indeed there is not a  repetition performance comparable to =
that of a modern action (which, as Stephen Birkett noted, is seldom =
really needed in piano litterature), I can tell you that the gain in =
feel for control, especially at low levels, is tremendous.  No buffers =
between your finger and the hammer, and you really can regulate set-off =
at less than 1 mm from the strings without any problem.  I wouldn't want =
another action in my own piano.

This is the part that intrigues me. The ability to set very close letoff =
and the ability to control the action at pianissimo levels.=20

This, to me, is the greatest limitation of the so-called "modern" grand =
action. I had not really given it much thought until we started building =
the Fandrich 122 Vertical. Using Darrell Fandrich's vertical action =
design gave this piano such control at pianissimo levels it became one =
of the most notable features visiting pianists were attracted to.

The modern grand action doesn't come close to this level of control.

Del