1999 Steinway L with heavy action

Sat, 07 Jun 2003 23:26:44 +0200

Mark.

This action has got some  problems... :) First as the your measurements below
show, you have some rather erratic ratio numbers, with what appears to be a
different ratio in the bass and upper treble then in the middle of the piano.
Cant really picture right off what might be causing this if the key ratio is a
clean 0.52. Definantly take a good look at your knuckles, but I have yet to run
into a set that would result in these kinds of measurements. You say your
knuckle line is quite uneven so you definantly want to straighten that out.

Part of this might be some regulation issues, as that is clearly off spec.
Steinway Hamburg specifies key dip of  9.5 +/- and I cant think NYS goes over
10.0

Your 10.7 mm key dip, along with 46 mm blow shows a problem as well.. either you
have lots an lots of aftertouch or something doesnt seem quite right here. Ratio
of roughly 6.0, deep dip, and 46 mm blow equates to a lot of aftertouch under
normal conditions.

SW's are generally heavy for your Ratio(s) so you are going to want to change
one or the other of them.. or perhaps both.  Perhaps the least resistance route
would be to accept and insure a 6.0 ratio over the entire paino, and go with a
Mid Medium or even 3/4 Mediuem SW curve. You should end up with being able to
get 38 BW here with no real troubles.

I'd highly recommend finding a certified Stanwood fellow/gal to straighten all
this out for you. They can also help you decide if another configuration is
advisable, but if its in the home, a medium range SW curve is probably a good
call.

Cheers
RicB

RicB