Key Leads and Inertia

Sat, 07 Jun 2003 23:49:52 +0200

Actually John,,, David has a setup for dealing with damper weights as well. It
seems more absurd to me to continue to let random weighting reign when it is
so easy to avoid, and so obviously creates a very noticible improvement. I see
nothing in Stephens articles or thinking so far that conflicts with Stanwoods
ideas, rather they seem to be an attempt to make a rather large step further
in the same basic direction.

There should be no question that evening out Strike Weights, and utilizing
formula based appropriate Front weights will have a positive affect on the
general eveness of the feel of the action. If one in addition pays attention
to location of these front weights then this is going down that same path on
which Stephen is moving. Davids pattern leading system does just that as it
evenly distributes the mass neccessary to achieve a desired Front Weight at a
specified and uniform point on every key. Evening out Damper weights after
this is just another logical step to take.

To say that all this is a waste because the dampers themselves are uneven
seems to be the reverse of where we want to go. Rather it would point in the
direction of takeing the neccessary steps to even those weights out as well,
and after the action is configured.

The fact that pianists utilize the whole surface of the key does not detract
from the value of static balancing ala Stanwood in my view. On the contrary,
the predictability of an action configured thus allows pianists to better
exploit an enhanced transparency this predictability imparts to the action.

MV

RicB