Orange shellac need help

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 22:25:59 -0500

I am refinishing a solid oak table top about the size of a large
upright bottom panel or "kick board" as it is sometimes called on
the old " high back pianos".

Its out of the can 3lb cut.  It is splotchy because of the
overlaps and it dries too fast to brush out the whole top.   Is
there a way to get rid of the splotchy areas by brushing with
denatured alcohol?  Or is sanding better?  It is hard to tell if
it will be splotchy when applying because of the different rates
of drying.

Why is it so hard for me to get a table top uniform when they used
to do large   oak floors and those look uniform?

Thanks
    Richard Moody