Rippen opinions, please!

Sun, 8 Jun 2003 10:30:28 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: June 08, 2003 9:07 AM
  Subject: Re: Rippen opinions, please!

   =20
  Delwin D Fandrich wrote:=20

    Andre has pretty well covered it. One question, though--weren't the =
Rippen=20
    grands also flat-strung?=20
    =20
  Do you mean straight strung ?  grin.. sorry ... couldnt help myself.  =
Every time I see that "flat strung" term... I get this vision of some =
guy out there banging away at the string matial to flatten it before =
stringing the instrument.=20
  Cheers=20

  RIcB=20
  =20

No. I don't mean straight strung. The term straight strung as applied to =
the piano having all of its string laid out in a more-or-less single =
plane has always bothered me. It implies that the strings are straight. =
But straight relative to what? Of course the strings are straight. =
Strings under tension are, by their nature, straight. So that means all =
pianos are straight strung. We must look further to figure out just what =
the straight in straight strung refers to. Does straight strung mean =
that the strings are perpendicular to the strike line? A bit of a =
stretch on the word, that. And besides, very few flat strung pianos have =
many of their strings oriented perpendicular to the strikeline--in some =
there are none at all--so the term straight strung would have to leave =
out all those whose strings deviate from that =
perpendicular-to-strikeline orientation. Or does the term straight =
strung mean that the strings are all parallel to each other? Again, few =
flat strung pianos have many of their strings laid parallel to each =
other--some have none at all. So, the term straight strung would have to =
leave out most flat strung pianos on that basis alone.=20

On the other hand, the term flat strung clearly differentiates the =
string dispersement from its alternate, the overstrung string =
dispersion. It makes reference to the fact that the strings are all in a =
single, flat plane rather than sending some of the strings up and over =
some of the other strings.=20

Or should we just use non-overstrung piano having all strings in a =
single, more-or-less-flat plane. Seems a bit cumbersome. I'll stick with =
flat strung.=20

Regards,=20

Del