Minimum LO, WAS: Hammer assist spring ?

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 14:35:06 -0400

At 7:46 AM -0700 6/8/03, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
>So, when I hear some say some grand action design can be regulated
>with let-off right up to within 1 mm of the string line I at least
>want to give the thing some thought. And one of those thought is, "I
>wonder how this thing would work with a nice graphite-filled ABS or
>Nylon jack?"

Are you perhaps thinking of the final turnstile the hammer has to go
through to make it to the string, the friction barrier of escapement?
At the initial turnstile (DW, or in a non-friction world, BW),
nothing happens until you put the correct number of coins in the
slot. At escapement, with the hammer's momentum, at least you get a
consolation prize for being a dollar short: a "Viennese escapement".
As in the Prell-mechanik, the rep lifts the hammer until the jack
tender hits the LO button,  and because the driving force at the key
is less than the escapement friction, everything stops dead in its
tracks. Except for the  hammershank, which if the LO is close enough,
has enough momentum to go the remaining distance. On its way back
down from the string, it is checked not by the rep spring pressure in
drop, rather by sitting itself back down on the jack which has not
moved from its pre-LO position, because escapement never occurred.
The most obvious part of the consolation prize is the hiccup we all
know and love, when the hammer bounces (albeit, slowly) off the jack
and grazes the string again.

I've always believed that one of the least easy of factors
determining the threshold sound (ie, minimal LO) to control is
escapement friction. It's partly a function of jack alignment,
jack/rep spring strength, knuckle shape and leather friction,
hammershank ratio and SW. It's nice to inventory these factors, but I
have often been in the situation of unable to alter escapement
friction nearly as much as I'd like.

Escapement friction is a turnstile. You can reduce the hiccuping by
fattening the LO. But the size of this friction determines the
quietist sound one can get out of a piano. So Del, would the
lubricity of the jack top make a big difference here?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Can you check out this middle C?. It "whangs' - (or twangs?)
     Thanks so much, Ginger"
     ...........Service Request