Dealers, Prep, real success

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sun, 08 Jun 2003 17:25:39 -0700

Hi all-----I've worked for 5 dealers(as a independent contractor) in my life
as a technician:
1. (1975-78) Cecil  White & Sons Pianos, Atlanta, GA----where I apprenticed
and learned the basics of the work.

2.(1981-83) Angelus Piano Co., West LA---a store run by a blind technician
and his wife---he loved my tuning.
He sold a lot of Yamahas, prepped 'em good, had a HUGE number of rental
pianos in homes (1600)

3. (1983-88)Sherman Clay, at their flagship LA store, and then later, same
store in Orange County (Irvine, Anaheim, Newport beach----where I became
intimately acquainted with the modern American Steinway, worked with Kenyon
Brown, a true wizard of piano prep, and was paid to spend 2 weeks with Bill
Garlick at the Steinway factory in both daytime, approved, "Steinway way"
classes, and nighttime, unapproved, "the real story" classes.
I also spent a month in Korea at the Sojin and Hanil factories, attempting
to raise the level of quality control, and correct the most egregious
production errors we were running into on their grand pianos---Sherman Clay
was the largest buyer for both companies' instruments.  There were so many
bribe attempts from the Hanil people that it got funny after a while---cash,
watches, women, TV's------it didn't work.  I eventually wrote a report that
resulted in the termination of Sherman Clay's purchase of Hanil
pianos---because they sucked; MUCH worse than even the early Pearl Rivers. I
must've supervised the preparation of thousands of those Korean PSOs.
I had 3 droogies working under me, and we documented everything; there was
so much charge-back warranty work, it was beyond belief.....It was good 'til
1988, and the structure of the company changed; the store managers
had no control over the prep of the pianos, and everything pretty much fell
apart.

4. (1998) Piano Factory, LA---this guy was like Jekyll & Hyde; when I first
started, he had a whole, huge 3000sf
space filled with new Bechsteins, Petrofs, Kawai RX's, rebuilt
Steinways----and they all sounded and felt like
big, expensive, shiny pieces of S**T. No one had done anything to them
except tune them poorly.  I found out later that a guy he was paying a grand
a week to---on salary---had "prepared" all these pianos, and had given him a
complete written account of everything he "did..." but the manager of the
store (the owner was at another location) who was a really good jazz player,
confided in me (after watching me for a month and deciding I was
"OK"---) that the on-salary guy had never done anything; that he was just
making it all up.  Wow.  He must have had some skeleton-in-the-closet stuff
goin' on with the owner......anyway, the owner LOVED what I did to his
pianos, but almost stroked out every time he had to write me a check:
yelling, screaming, "you're killing my cash flow," "you're the most
expensive technician in the world," "can you hold the check until the
weekend?"
Eeeesshh.  After 6 months, I got tired of the whining, and the daggers the
'on-salary guy' would send my way
every time we'd see each other, and the lack of trust, and the slow pay.

5. (2001-present) David Abell Fine Pianos, LA----the best piano store in
California, I'd say.  I have pretty much complete freedom to prepare the
pianos---Yamaha, Schimmel, Boesendorfer, rebuilt Sty. and M&H---
so they'll sing to the maximum they're capable of. I have a trust-based
relationship with the owner, and the store manager---respect both ways---and
I can't imagine a better situation.

If piano dealers would only realize that their business would radically
increase if they treated their clients, and their pianos, with basic
respect, that people can feel when they're being jived, taken advantage of,
and lied to,
it would be great.  Is that Pollyanna-ish? Naive?  All I know is that David
Abell has a tremendous reputation
for integrity, has the respect of ALL his peers, and sold millions of
dollars worth of pianos every year out of a small, simple store, spent next
to nothing on advertising, and had a good time, based on one simple thing:
the Golden Rule.  He didn't lie to people, and all the pianos were prepared
by the best guys he could get.
Nobody ever had to worry about warranties, or anything; you could trust
David Abell, and that translated into both material and
artistic/community/social success. Dennis Hagerty, the present owner, is
wisely continuing that tradition and legacy.  How inspiring.

David Andersen