Giraffe piano photos

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:05:31 +0200

http://images.google.com/images?q=giraffe+piano&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en

will give you pics of many giraffes

for pics, see www.pianotech.org

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conrad Hoffsommer" <hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: Giraffe piano photos

List,

At 11:34 6/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi guys - I lost the thread on this topic but if you're still looking for
>giraffe photos....
>
>Just did a quick search for "giraffe piano photo" and came up with an
>interesting site @
><http://www.concertpitchpiano.com>www.concertpitchpiano.com - which has
>photos of the outside and action of a Stein giraffe.  I found navigation a
>bit confusing, but the photos are there in their "Virtual Piano Museum"
>along with some other interesting ones.
>
>I could only find photos of the full back type.  The Museum of the
>American Piano in NYC has an open back giraffe which has a gilded bass end
>post similar to that of a harp and there is no soundboard above keyboard
>level leaving the strings completely exposed to vibrate only the aid of
>the harp-style "soundpost" (or whatever it may be called.)  Unfortunately,
>the Museum's site has no photos, unless I couldn't find them.
>
>Bruce Greig

I have a few pictures of an open frame giraffe as he describes.  I _think_
the one I took was called an Orphicon and is located at EUCHMI (Edinburgh
University).  I'll have to go back some time and take better ones.   I also
took some pictures of the action and tuning devices - all under keybed
level and, indeed, the tuners are at pedal level.

If someone could review [privately] how I get these posted, I'd appreciate it.

Conrad Hoffsommer
Decorah, IA

So many chocolates; so little time.