False Beats in high treble after stringing

Dave Smith dsmith941@comcast.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:03:09 -0400

Greg, I am not sure of very much.  What do you suggest?

Dave Smith SW FL
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Newell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 11:52 PM
  Subject: Re: False Beats in high treble after stringing

  Dave,
          Are you sure that the false beats are coming from the bridge =
end o the string?

  Greg Newell

  At 09:09 PM 6/9/2003, you wrote:

    Just finished stringing my Wing and Sons upright piano project and =
have quite a few false beats in the last two octaves of treble in single =
strings.  My first restringing project.  Phil Bondi suggested that I ask =
on-list for advice.  The treble bridge seemed (to me anyway) to be in =
pretty good shape.  About 1/3 of the bridge pins were loose and I had =
removed and replaced after putting epoxy on the ends of the pins.  Also =
a little epoxy whereever there appeared to be any hints of small cracks =
near the pins.    Great results, except in certain strings of the high =
treble. Other than there, the piano sounds great.   I don't see anything =
different about these strings or the bridge from other strings, but I =
think I need to fix if possible.  For example, B6 center string has a =
beat of about 2 bps.  Not as loud as a real beat between two strings, =
but still THERE.   Some higher strings beat faster.
    =20
    I have experimented with seating the strings with my copper rod, at =
each bridge pin.  Also tried tapping each bridge pin in a small bit.  =
Doesnt seem to help, except in certain strings.  I did lightly sand and =
buff the v-bar before restringing, and think I have the right adjustment =
on the pressure bar.  I've been reading the archives and the PTG CD =
articles re false beats, but the number of "hits" for this search term =
is overwhelming.
    =20
    Can anyone offer me advice on what to do next to reduce the false =
beats, short of unstringing and recapping bridge, etc?  I would =
appreciate your help!
    =20
    Frustrated in Florida,
    =20