Key Leads and Inertia

Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:21:56 +0200

Stephen Birkett wrote:

> Let's adopt the simpler [just as useful] approach you and Phil
> suggested. Point mass action acting at the capstan, plus distributed
> mass keystick. We need estimates for: (i) action mass at the capstan
> (weight will do), (ii) mass of the key *without* leads]. Perhaps you
> have such data from your key balancing work Richard? Also key
> geometry.

Sitting on the capstan at about C3 its pretty usual to see around 140
grams. Thats what I used in that little experiement the other day.
Roughly you can figure  (BW + FW) *  2, since the key ratio is always
around 0.5.

I'll weigh a leadless key (if somebody else hasnt done it) and measure
its dimensions when I can get over to the shop.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.