Kawai keyframe levelling

bruce greig bgreig@nyc.rr.com
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:28:48 -0400

I've been servicing a 1985 Kawai KG2D for a few years which has a =
chronic problem with keyframe knocking.   This piano is located in a =
church where it is used for concerts as well as services.  Though I'm =
experienced with the levelling procedures, this one has continued to =
defy me.  It's the type with 3 half-hidden glides which can only be =
adjusted from the underside, in addition to the usual tuning pin type =
adjusted from the topside.  These are all on the center/balance rail =
with none for the front rail.  Also, the treble keyend block does not =
contact the keyframe pin at all and is not adjustable in this regard.   =
Wary of damaging the polyester finish, I don't want to experiment with =
the endblocks unless I know what I'm doing. =20

I'm wondering if there should be glides at the front rail.  Out of  =
sheer frustration last time, I got a couple thumbtacks from the =
secretary & put these on the underside of the front rail and it worked. =
So far no more knocking, but I'm to tune the piano again this week and =
wonder if there's a more "professional" fix, or cure, for this =
situation.  I'm speculating that if glides should be installed on the =
front rail or keybed, this would alleviate the endblock situation.

So, if anyone has had experience with this type of situation, I'd =
appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
Bruce Greig