Kawai keyframe leveling

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:22:23 +0200

Joe, I concur, why not glides.

The KG series seem to have a permanence in warping may be not the
front rail but more probably the keybed himself. I have one that
change a lot from winter to summer, despite planning, precise fitting,
etc. They often have been planed with a rabbit on the left and right
of the front rail because  of central knocking, and that produce these
new knocks at another moment.

I'd add the glides on the keybed, not on the front rail (to be
regulated with a screwdriver from below).

Care may be taken then to plane the underside of the rail, as the
actual contact surface is not that large.

On the other hand, bedding with the gauge method these pianos helps,
as the zone accepted between not enough pressure and too much (front
rail not touching, is very small 1 mm of key height I'd say)

The use of a piece of adhesive tape (Scotch) is perfect for little
warpage or knocks, but on these KG it is not enough most of the time.

Nowadays, most of the grands need touch up at the glide bolts when we
tune them.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech