Steinway O to Light Hammers

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:13:16 -0700

Of course, John Hartmann knows about the good Cold Press hammers from
Ronsen, but I'd like to share some info with y'all. I just completed an
1880's German Upright, that originally had very small light hammers. I got a
set from Ronsen with Silver Maple Moulding, European Felt. These were 12
pound size/14 pound felt. These hammers came, consistantly, with about
.8gram more than the original wornout hammers. In my book that's an exact
match! The hammers sounded marvelous and the touch was as it should be for a
good German upright. If you haven't tried Ronsen hammers, I strongly suggest
you do! BTW, the Silver Maple moulding is LIGHTER than Sapele, Mahogany or
Walnut! The reason I tried it was that Ed McMorrow, (of "Light Hammer"
fame), suggested I try it. He raved about it and now I know why. The tonal
production of that set of hammers was superb, IMO
Best Regard,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)