Key Ratio

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:46:50 +0200

John,

I appreciate your example, but I had a little grand with an exact 100
mm/50 mm ratio and the same kind 1/2 on sharps WHILE MEASURED UNDER
THE KEY, and they show a clear difference in weight ratio, when
measured at the capstan (with the weight method). The black key had a
higher ratio by some 0.3 - 0.4  difference (0.51 whites 0.54 sharps).
the SWR on this piano is 5.50 on whites and  around 6.20 for sharps.

I'll say it was a very short grand, may be other things came in
consideration, as the height of the sharps vs. the length of the keys
that exacerbate that difference. That was my thought at this time
anyway.

So why the weight should be acting differently ? its downward force is
yet driven by the same lever arms we try to evaluate (while I see you
point in regard of the curve of the move).

With Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech