False Beats in high treble after stringing - Now epoxy/heating

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:00:51 -0700

I learned to heat bridge pins with a large Olde-style soldering iron,
(slightly modified<G>), (Electronic type Soldering Guns are not adequate!),
while applying epoxy to the opposite string side, from Darrell Fandrich.
It's been many years since, but I use it often. Some cautions: 1: Wear a
really good mask that catches fumes. 2. Only heat until you see the epoxy
START to wick. Then remove the Soldering iron, (move to the next pin).
I use a general, clear epoxy, such as Devcon 2-ton. With practice, there is
little or no "clean-up" needed. Can be done with the strings on, once you
become proficient with this method. Ron is correct, in the process of
"thins, then sets up faster". With a reasonably slow cure Epoxy, the working
time is about 15 minutes per "batch". (The "consistancy" will tell you when
to go to a new "batch".) I mix "batches" about the size of a 50 cent piece.
BTW, I use the point of round toothpicks to apply, ONE drop per pin. The
main idea, is to firm the top surface around the bridge pin. Hope this
helps.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)