Historical Pianos/notation

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:57:54 -0500

At 10:24 PM -0500 6/11/03, Keith McGavern wrote:

>So if I understand correctly, the following constitutes what you say
>is the standard notation except among piano tuners:
>
>A2 thru G#2 (capital letters and digits subscript)
>a5 thru c5   (lower case and digits superscript)
>
>Yes/No?

Keith, yes, but change at C rather than A. Piano scale is thus:

AAA-BBB	or Asub2
CC-BB	or Csub1
C-B
c-b
c'-b'	or csuper1
c''-b''	or csuper2
c'''-b'''
c''''-b''''
c'''''

I cant get Eudora to do the subscript thing, but if you look in a
Groves dictionary I'm sure it will all be laid out there. The point
was not that piano tuners are wrong but that the A1-C4-C7 or A1-C88
versions exist only on the piano since the 1880's and not on organs
or early keyboards much less on flutes or contrabassoons. Hope this
helps,

--
----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT