Key Leads and Inertia

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 06:00:52 -0400

Bill Ballard wrote:

> Don't forget, if the variation is on the front side of the key, it's
> included in the FW.

Not sure I believe this (or I just don't understand what you're
trying to say).  The FW is just the key's contribution to the BW.
So all the weight of the key matters, not just the front. (Proof: cut off
the
back of the key -- the FW changes!)

So far I like David's point best, that 85% of the energy goes into the
hammer.  That means a 10% variation in key inertia becomes only
a 1.5 variation in ....something.  Need more coffee.

-Mark