porous casting

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:55:53 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Spalding" <spalding48@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 13, 2003 2:28 PM
Subject: porous casting

> My plan is to remove enough material to make a seat for some 3/32"
diameter
> drill rod, and bed it in J-B Weld.  Unless someone can suggest a
> better/easier repair?

Unless there are only one or two holes in which case you can drill & tap,
run in a machine screw with LocTite and grind to fit.

Inserting the drill rod is the best solution, but is also the most
time-consuming (read, expensive). I've used the plug method a number of
times with good success.

> By the way, the back of the J-B Weld package has a couple of user
> testimonials, including:  A Kansas farmer said, "I have been using J-B
Weld
> for more than five years on my farm equipment and I have decided that it
is
> even better than bailing wire"

Ayup...it's a little hard to wind back on the spool, though.

Del