Bush & Lane, Upright

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:15:14 -0700

Yesterday, I worked on a Bush & Lane Studio Upright, from the 20's. This one
is not like, what comes to mind when we think Bush & Lane! It is a totally
different critter. Plain Jane. Fairly ordinary construction, case and
soundboard-wise. It has Capo d' Astro bars in every section of the piano! It
is virtually impossible to get a mute strip beyond A3, above the dampers.
You can hardly see in to put a Papp's Mute in. I had to strip below the
dampers, as I would for Over-Damper pianos! Action out, Action in, Action
out, Action in........! Sheesh what a pain! The only up side I found, was a
very balanced tone throughout the piano. I hope there aren't too many of
these things out there! (First one in 30+ years and that is more than
enough!)<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)