Helper springs

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:10:08 -0400

At 4:32 PM -0700 6/14/03, David Andersen wrote:
>  > From: Bill Ballard <yardbird@vermontel.net>
>Hopefully the performance shortcomings of helper springs can be demonstrated
>in trials an engineer would be happy with.
>>
>>  Bill Ballard RPT
>>  NH Chapter, P.T.G.
>>
>Uh...why would it satisfy me or my clients, the composers, artists, serious
>players to have a trial an engineer woould be happy with?

Hi, David. Yes, I agree that's the reason we're doing this work, the
pianists and the music they make. And if you think that constructing
rigorous studies of the behavior of helper springs doesn't have
anything to do with that, I'll agree.

However, the purpose was a very narrow one, to explore the helpers. A
purely mechanical matter, and although it could possibly have
produced improvements the musicians would find and enjoy, that wasn't
the reason I was proposing it.

I have no vested interest in helpers. All I know about magnets, I've
learned on this list. I haven't had any bad reports from pianists of
helper springs altering the action's performance. Actually what I'd
like to do is turn up the differences between them. They're both
continuously variable, they both bring to the equation a force which
is independent of the mass-based forces. Springs fade, and I bet
magnets do too. And right now, we've got magnets working both ends of
the stroke. Maybe you could make something like the two-speed
transmission which was mentioned in this thread last week.

But you're right, David, we're missing the real value of a piano if
we look at it through a microscope. No better set-up to test the
response of pianists than what you've suggested.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"All God's Children got Rhythm"
     ...........Ivy Anderson in "A Day at the Races"