Steinway heavy touch

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:19:34 +0200

Roy,

I believe the only reason is that hammers are heavier these days.
That was the first reason to buy a gram scale a few years ago.
And indeed when I was a younger tech gram scales where not cheap or
accessible to piano techs, I have one I have paid ?100 -USD 100 env.

You 'll probably have to thin those hammers.

Best
Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy
94400 VITRY sur SEINE
FRANCE
tel : 033 01 47 18 06 98
fax : 033 01 47 18 06 90
cell: 06 60 42 58 77

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de RCzekay@aol.com
  Envoye : dimanche 15 juin 2003 03:16
  A : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Steinway heavy touch

  I know that Steinway pianos, both the verticals, and grands have for years
been noted for their heavy touches. I have a beautiful 1886 vertical,
completely restored that plays and sounds great, but every prospective
customer complains about the heavy touch. Does anyone know of a way to make
the touch lighter. I have played the piano for over 60 years, and I myself
like the touch of a Steinway. But, I guess in this era, everyone wants the
soft touch of an electronic keyboard.

  Roy Czekay,
  rczekay@aol.com