Cheching for viruses

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:18:47 -0400

--=====================_1131515==.ALT
Rob,
         This trouble, at least as far as the list is concerned, might have=
=20
been preventable. Do you use Outlook? It's one of the most attacked email=20
programs in existence. If you were to add an dummy entry in your address=20
book that shows up alpha numerically first ... like !!!0 or something like=
=20
it for the name, the delivery to everyone in your address book would fail.=
=20
You would then probably see some sort of pop up failure notice and delete=20
the sending of the whole job and also thereby notifying you that you have=20
picked up something. Perhaps you already do this. If not it's certainly=20
worth the effort. Just trying to be helpful FWIW.

Best,
Greg Newell

At 02:37 AM 6/15/2003, you wrote:

>Okay, here's what I'm concluding:
>
>Likely I've picked up a bug from somewhere.  What it APPEARS to be doing=20
>is randomly picking out old e-mails from my "sent" file and resending them=
=20
>to random people in my address book.  I have been getting some reports=20
>from people wondering why they are getting old mail from me, in some cases=
=20
>not concerning them.
>
>Until I get this fixed just delete the random old e-mails.  I didn't send=
=20
>them intentionally.  I will also send out a general e-mail to everyone on=
=20
>my list warning them.
>
>The next task on my list will be to find the individual who is responsible=
=20
>for creating and distributing this virus and breaking both his=20
>legs.  Anyone want to help?
>
>Rob Goodale, RPT
>Las Vegas, NV
>
>---