Steinway heavy touch

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:29:47 -0600

Hi Richard,
Methinks there needs to both choices available on the same piano. And that
is available with magnets.
For thought: ever try to shoot baskets ( basketball ) with a ping pong ball
/ a shot put?
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 8:19 AM
Subject: Re: Steinway heavy touch

> Rant Start:
>
> This whole issue keeps getting sidetracked into another Steinway bashing
avenue. Seems to me we'd be better off dropping our personal preferences,
for not to say prejudices, and answer questions topically as they come up.

> Steinways, along with many others have opted for a heavier touch. At least
half the serious pianists I run into, if not more, seem to agree with that
position. I grew up learning piano and virtually every teacher I had scoffed
at my mothers feather light Acrosonic. What can I say... lots of folks like
a heavy touch that requires well excersised fingers to
> drive.
>
> Others like a very light touch. And no doubt they have many good reasons
for this preference as well.

> What I dont see however, is the point of addressing someones querry about
how to alter the touch of an instrument by engaging in a lot of irrelevant
and opinionated criticisms of one or another make.

> If somebody wants and asks for information about how to alter the touch of
an instrument... thats what they should get in return.