( OT? ) voluntary spill on keys about to happen

Jean Debefve kobold@wanadoo.be
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:33:34 +0200

Hi all,

I am adding a last touch of "makeup" to my DU1A, who will play its first
role as an "actor" onstage, mid August. Some of you might remember my
mails and questions a few months ago about moving a DU1A on tour.

All is going well, but I have a very strange problem : The piano should
look very old. The black ebony finish could make it, even without
modifications : it's classy... A bit too shiny though.  But the problem
is  the color of the keys : they look so white, so plastic, so brand
new.  That won't be coherent with the feel we're looking for.

I know that some of you had to deal with strange substances trown or
spilled on keys (nail varnish, paint, you named it).
Does anyone have an idea of  a coloring substance the set designer could
use, and of course possibly remove without harm, to solve that problem ?
(The piano actually should not look like a very old man with a brand new
denture... ;-))

The piano will have to wear its makeup for a couple of years. And
hopefully get back to near its original state after that. (And the
players and the flies won't like sticky keys!)

Tricky-Silly problem, isnt'it ?

Jean Debefve
Theātre de Galafronie
Belgium.