Steinway heavy touch

Mon, 16 Jun 2003 04:27:32 -0500

At 22:22 6/15/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>here, we don't call that a piano.  We call that a home trainer.
>
>Stéphane.

Hmmm. A home trainer on three wheels - that would be a tricycle, n'est-ce pas?

>From: "Richard Strang" <rstrang@pa.inter.net>
>
>| I just have to tell my story about heavy playing pianos. I tune and service
>| a Yamaha LU-90 owned by a concert pianist who is also a piano teacher here
>| in Panama. He had me install a total of 3 1/2 lead weights ON EACH KEY to
>| make it play as heavy as possible. The 1/2 weight is mounted on the end of
>| the key. He advocates weighting the keys so that he will never run into a
>| piano thats hard to play. The touch weight is twice that of a Steinway D. He
>| must have pretty strong fingers by now.

The head piano professor here has had wrist and finger joint problems and
is VERY sensitive to a heavy touch.  I've been on a crusade to reweigh
almost every grand at the school.

¡¡WARNING!! - Steinway bashing ahead...

I get very frustrated and start to think impure thoughts when the official
replacement $&$ hammers/parts come in about ten times as heavy as the
official $&$ hammers/parts just taken off and I have to re-reweight the
keys and relocate capstans to adapt.

"Oh, didn't we warn you......?"

The next time I need parts for $&$ pianos, I'll do just like they do - get
them from Renner.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.