price-shoppers!

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:19:20 -0700

Just wanted to get some feedback on how everyone ELSE handles first-time
customer calls that begin: "HOW MUCH DO YOU CHARGE?" I've tried many
different approaches because there is that segment of first time callers
that are more interested in getting the LOWEST price, rather than the best
service, or at least that seems to be their number ONE priority. Should I
just give my price point blank and then shut up and wait for there response?
Usually, before i tell the customer my fees, I ask them:  "when was your
piano last tuned", and then get a little more pertinent piano info, THEN
tell them my prices. But then you get that all too familiar response...: ok
thanks, I call you back", or: " well, let me talk to my Husband/wife", etc.
Fortunately, I book a fair percentage of my first time calls, but does
anyone on the list have a favorite, effective way to handle these calls? I
know we can't book EVERY call, but that's what I'm striving for! What I
DON'T want to do is get caught up in a "price war" with other tuners. I know
there are some tuners out there that will cut their prices to the bone, just
too appeal to those price hunters, but I hate to have to stoop to "price
wars" to compete with the few who charge $55 a tuning! I'm striving to
emphasize Quality, precision, and professional, curteous service, and I know
my loyal cusomers appreciate this.

Terry Peterson