SF Bay Area Piano Broker

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:46:24 -0700

on 6/16/03 12:23 PM, Patrick C.Poulson at pcpoulso@pacbell.net wrote:

> Hello all, and particularly to those in the SF-Bay area: A client of mine
> has been talking to a piano broker over there who has a1915 Steinway O in
> original condition for sale, at $18,500. The dealer is a woman by the name
> of Susan Gilmer. She claims it is in excellent condition, but will need
> hammers soon. (At least!) Anyone familiar with this person and her
> reputation? My customer would have a three hour drive to inspect the piano,
> so we are trying to arm ourselves with any available information. Thanks,
> Patrick C. Poulson
> Registered Piano Technician
> Piano Technicians Guild

That's really too much money for an original condition "O", especially if
the board needs to be replaced.  I think the statement "will need hammers
soon" tells you all you need to know about the "broker's" concern for
excellence and/or the client's cost/benefit ratio.  Why don't you find your
client a private party "O," charge her for an evaluation, and then restore
it or be in charge of subbing out the restoration to honest, reliable
people?  Talk to David Love; he does excellent work.  The right number for
an "O" in that condition, depending on the veneer and the ivory, is
$10-14,000.00

I'll bet you a hundred bucks that "broker" bought it for $8K, didn't do a
damn thing to it, and now wants to sell it for 18.5, and will give you "such
a deal" for 15.  Fuhgeddaboudit.

Hope this helps.....

David Andersen