Best glue for ivory?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:23:34 -0500

>Some of the real ivories that I have put on with CA have popped back off
>within a year or so. I think  the explanation involves the brittleness of
>CA glue.

I just don't think CA is a glue at all. It's wonderful for soaking into
something and stabilizing it, but in my opinion it's untrustworthy for
sticking things (or stuff) together.

>I would be afraid of using PVC-E glue on real ivories without clamping
>until dry, because PVC-E is water based, and I assume it could curl an ivory. ?

I've always assumed so too, though I haven't tried it. We may either be
missing something, or against all odds - right. I'll have to try it some
time (in the shop).

>Duco cement has worked for me, although given Ron N's reservations, I
>fully expect to be back here at some point to report some failures --
>but  at this point I have none to report, after several years of using Duco.
>
>Kent Swafford

Maybe by Del's terminology "less bad", but there is probably something
better we just haven't thought of yet. With relatively recent (compared to
Duco) advances in adhesive technology, there has to be something closer to
great waiting out there.