Pitch raise

Robert Scott Robert.Scott@tunelab-world.com
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:21:27 -0400

David Porritt asks:

>I've seen it said several times that for a tuning fee, there is an
>allocated time.  If tuning doesn't take up the whole time other
>things (voicing, tighten screws etc.) will be done for that same
>"tuning fee".  However, many say that if they do a pitch raise, still
>within that time frame, that they charge extra for it.
>
>Why is it that a pitch raise requires the extra charge when
>everything else done during the allocated time is included in the
>normal charge?

The customer's perception is that they have a contract with you to produce
a specific result (a tuned piano) for a set fee.  There should also be an
understanding between you and the customer that if certain conditions arise
(such as a cracked block, or major pitch raise) that extra fees are
involved.  Customers like the security of knowing what those extra fees are
up front.  You give them that security by assuming some of the risk
yourself.  For example, if a pin block is nominally OK, but gives you lots
of frustration because of pins that are too tight or jumpy, you would
normally not ask the customer for extra money to cover the extra time that
it takes to tune such a pin block, because you can't point to something the
customer will accept as a defect that is somehow "their fault".  So you
usually eat the extra cost yourself, hoping to get a better pin block the
next time.  That is fine.  It is part of assuming some risk in a job that
is priced essential by the job, not by the hour.  Similarly, if you come to
tune a piano that is nearly perfect, and is a dream to tune, you don't
usually give the customer a discount because of the easier than normal job.

The tricky part here is deciding just how much risk you want to assume and
making sure that your customer understands it too.  Judging by how people
buy insurance, I would guess that most people would rather pay a higher
fixed fee than take a chance on an open-ended hourly rate.  Even though
pitch raises come in a continuum of difficulty, you give the customer a
sense of security by deciding at the beginning if this particular pitch
raise is bad enough to warrant a higher fee.  It may seem overly simplistic
to divide all tunings into "normal" and "pitch raise".  But customers like
simplicity, and will gladly pay you to give it to them.

Of course there is nothing wrong with deciding unilaterally to give your
customer something extra (voicing, tighten screws etc.) if you think it
will help your business.  And perhaps it might be appropriate to sometimes
do a minor pitch raise for no additional fee, if it generates
goodwill.  But if it is done in such a way that the customer comes to
expect that it was his contractual right to have that extra service, you
may want to re-think the policy.

-Robert Scott
  Ypsilanti, Michigan