Bridle Wire-Broken at Wippen

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:10:11 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Gordon Holley=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 1:23 PM
  Subject: Bridle Wire-Broken at Wippen

  Hello List
  Have Vose & Sons Upright, SN 35072, circa 1895/96, with a bridle wire=20
  broken off at the point below where it inserts into the wippen. Other=20
  than that this oldie is beautiful. Can't dig it out.  Tried to pull=20
  out a couple bridle wires from old wippens I had and they also broke=20
  off on the wippen.
  Was going to use these to insert into the wippen with a new drilled=20
  hole.  Is there a technique/trick to getting an old bridle wire out=20
  of a wippen for re-use?
  Yes, I know, I'll need to order a dozen to have on hand for the=20
  future.
  Regards, Gordon Holley
  Goshen, IN
  Associate, Indiana chapter 467

  If I can't grab it with Vise-Grips, then I drill right next to it and =
screw in a new one.  I have also drilled several holes all around it and =
tried digging it out, but since it's threaded, that doesn't usually =
work.  Probably the best thing, like someone else said, is to punch it =
through from the bottom. =20
      If the hole is too enlarged (this usually happens when extracting =
a broken backcheck wire, or when puching a threaded wire out, forcing =
the threads to strip), then you can drill a hole sideways through the =
wippen with a 7/32 in.  bit, then plug it with a little piece of hammer =
shank.  This gives the backcheck wire or bridle strap wire some side =
grain to go into (orient the plug so the grain is perpendicular to the =
wire), and it'll be more solid.
      If you extract another old one to use as a replacement, it might =
just break at the same place.  Better to install new.  Maybe you can =
temporarily rob one from an A1 or C88 from another piano. =20
      --David Nereson, RPT