Bolduc Block - Bit Size - Torque

Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:43:08 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> Good point Richard. And hence, in part, why my questions. I wonder if it is not my two pass drilling method that is affecting results. I wonder what drilling process was used for the Mike McCoy tests - and as you point out, what kind of drill rig they used.

I've been useing this two pass method for about 15 years now, but always by hand. Primarilly to avoid leaving the inside of the holes scortched. If I did enough of these I'd find a drill press set up that yielded more consistant results.

I've seen the rig you mention below in some of the great shots you've shared with me in the past couple years. I would be really suprised if you didnt get both more torque and by far more consistancy with that set up. One of the nicest thought out set ups for a small rebuilders shop I've ever seen.

> I am using my overhead drill press which does a wonderful job of holding the drill bit at my specified angle very steady. I also bought a very good after-market chuck for the drill to minimize runout. Perhaps my straight running drill bit and my steady drill press are drilling smaller holes than other setups might drill.
>
> I had looked at the McCoy spreadsheets previously, and thanks Ron N. for posting the update. But this being only my third job drilling a pinblock and first on a Bolduc block, I tend to have these very basic questions - and there is quite a bit of conflicting info. Just trying to get as much info as possible to see what the range of experience and opinions are out there.

Conflicting info seems to be part of the game in this buisness :) Interesting post / thread as usual Terry, I am enjoying reading all the comments.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.