Bolduc Block - Bit Size - Torque

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:59:41 EDT

In a message dated 18/06/03 5:33:22 PM, jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca writes:

<< The speed you drill at has an effect on the size of the hole, one way the

hole is larger, the other smaller, with the same size bit.

I forget which is which, but too fast is no good and neither is too slow.

Possibly someone can remember the speeds that should be used. >>

John..... you are in agreement with my thoughts here. There are many
variables as to the answers and among them are, speed of drilling (not only rotational
speed but vertical penetration speed), sharpness of bit, type of bit (shape
and structure of point), single pass/double pass, type of block being drilled,
whether bit is cooled frequently, etc., etc.

 In my experience the slower you drill a hole the larger the final product
with a faster drilling speed producing a smaller hole...but that is just my
opinion and is backed up with no objective evidence.

 I drill my blocks with 600/800 RPM and use a .250 bit for 2/0 pins. This
works very well on multi-layer blocks as well as S&S/Bolduc type blocks. Single
pass, two insertions per hole. With this combination, and the use of pin
driving fluid, I end up with very workable chipping/tuning torque values which
settle down to a very nice 'regular' tuning value. I believe personally that values
of over 150 are overkill not to mention counterproductive.....but that is
just my opinion.
Jim Bryant (FL)