dangerous pianos

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:14:49 -0400

Hi Pam!

If a piano "accepts" a pitch raise and doesn't give you any grief during the
fine tuning, then the chances of it being "dangerous" are incredibly low.
If it is constantly going flat but the pinblock feels like it should be able
to hold the pins properly, it most likely has a structural problem.  Even
with a cracked plate, broken beams or whatever, I have yet to hear of one
spontaneously imploding without being dealt a severe blow, such as being
dropped or catapulted.

Go to any piano dealer's trade-in warehouse and there are bound to be plenty
of BOUs that are clinically DOA, but they are not considered dangerous.
There's one warehouse where the staff  will deliberately implode the dead
pianos by dropping them from a forklift into a loading bay.  They have found
that a piano will have to be dropped about 6 feet to do more than scuff up
the finish.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pam Jenkins" <pjx2@runpoint.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 10:19 PM
Subject: dangerous pianos

Well, thank you for your responses concerning structural integrity and
exploding pianos.  I honestly did read an article many years ago when I was
first beginning to tune about a school piano that a technician hurriedly
removed because he felt it was a danger to life and limb.
So I have spent all these years approaching BOU's (big old uprights) with
caution mixed with fear...thank you for exorcising my demons.
Pam Jenkins, Maine chapter.