tuning narrow and wide

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:14:26 -0500

"organic sounding tuning" ?  You mean "like an organ" ?  : ))

The foremost and primary consideration of tuning A4 to A3 is the
"purity of the sound of the octave".    Now that might raise
questions like the  "organic sounding tuning" statement.
Never-the-less the  second note tuned is an octave to the first
note tuned to a tuning fork.  (unless you are tuning from A1 with
a machine).

With A3 tuned to A4 simply by tuning it as pure as possible, that
is where I begin my  temperament.  No matter where F3 is, you can
hear the F3--A3 and compare to F3----A4.  If they  are the same,
eureka!.  If not, not to worry too much about tuning theory, just
get as close as possible in 45 minutes.  ---rm