Bolduc Block - Bit Size - Torque

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:58:42 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/2003 2:30:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

> Im curious as to whether or not you are drilling by hand or using a mounted
> press... or what.

I drill pinblocks outside of the piano, on a Jet floor-standing drill press
turning at 870 RPM. I have compressed air blowing on the bit. I do a test patch
on each panel to get my feed speed right. My surprise at the higher torque
figures obtained by others is making me wonder about the runout of the chuck or
spindle. I'll look into it. The chuck is the heavy 1/2" one that came with the
press. I suppose it's replaceable. I don't know about adjustments for the
spindle.

It's been my impression that maple blocks are softer than they used to be,
but maybe it's my equipment! I'll drill some test holes in the old block along
with the next new block I drill.

Bob Davis