dangerous pianos

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:18:19 -0300

Hi Kenny,
Think safety glasses.
Did you determine, why the string splice broke?
I seldom have a splice break, and it is the only way to go, with an older piano, as a new string will not match tonally.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: KENNETH FINLAYSON
  To: cedel@supernet.com
  Cc: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 6:09 PM
  Subject: dangerous pianos

  Hi list.

  I could have lost an eye, once upon a time, while working for the piano store. I had spliced a bass string, about C-4. on a very old upright. The knot broke, a sharp sliver of broken piano wire hit the plate, sparks flew, the piece then flew within a small fraction of an inch from the corner of my eye. I seldom splice bass stings any more, especially on the older models.

  Kenny Finlayson, RPT