individual hitch pins

Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:00:18 -0700

This is all very interesting but what does it have to do with the =
subject line -- Individual Hitch Pins?

Del
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: June 19, 2003 2:49 PM
  Subject: Re: individual hitch pins

  In a message dated 6/19/03 2:37:17 PM Central Daylight Time, =
rstrang@pa.inter.net writes:

    Hello everyone,
      I have never put in a new pin block in any piano, and I don't =
think I
    would relish the job, but I have always wondered how a person would =
get a
    plate screw into a freshly drilled hole in the new block. Is there a =
tool
    one would use to make the new threads, or does one just horse a a =
big square
    headed screw/bolt in to make the threads and follow it with the =
actual
    screw? Just wondering.

    Richard

  When drilling new holes for plate screws, you need to make a two stage =
hole. You need to measure the width of the shoulder of the screw, =
(that's the portion closest tot he the head, and usually without =
threads), and make the hole in the pin block about the same diameter, or =
slightly smaller, as the this. Then you need to drill the hole in the =
block the same diameter as the inside of the screw threads.=20

  Then, using a brace and screw driver tips, screw in the screw. The =
screws will go easier into the block if you put a little bees wax or =
soap on the threads.=20

  Wim