individual hitch pins

Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:06:58 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don" <pianotuna@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 19, 2003 6:38 PM
Subject: individual hitch pins

> Hi Del,
>
> As I said I have no particular proof--but those few
> pianos that I have tuned that were individually strung
> did not exhibit the same pitch drop as pianos with
> shared hitch pins. I can't "prove" it. But I suspect
> it is so.

I can't really think of any reason why this feature alone would have much
of any effect on tuning stability one way or the other. In some pianos the
hitch pin field is spread out some when individual hitches are used which
would tend to spread the tensile load on the plate but there are equally
effective ways to spread the load with shared hitches as well. I suspect
there are other factors involved here that may not be readily apparent.

Del