machines or not? what?

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:48:10 +0200

On vrijdag, jun 20, 2003, at 21:49 Europe/Amsterdam, Alan Forsyth wrote:

> is the way it should be.  ...To deviate from this standard (variations
> accepted) is not in my opinion a good practice. To allow a machine to
> say "
> Hey my C1 inharmonicity is way, way, out, so you have to tune the
> piano with
> a scale that will accept me and to hell with every other note." is not
> good.......So I guess that the correct way to tune a piano is still by
> ear.
> ...........">>>

I am sorry Alan Forsyth,
but I do not agree with you.
I have tuned an awful lot of piano's by ear and I have spoken here many
times about my aural tuning experience.
At the same time I have become an advocate for the most perfect tuning
machine: the Verituner

This machine gives us the most perfect tuning possible with the least
amount of trouble. i.e. no computer stuff, no choosing of partials, no
anything.
You just choose your pitch and that's just it. A perfect box and at the
same time perfectly simple to handle too.
So far, every buyer that I know of went crazy after the very first
tuning : they can't believe it! they have never heard such a
fantastic tuning before in their whole life...every buyer!

So think about that! you want to tune by ear? what's against that?
nothing. but to say "So I guess that the correct way to tune a piano is
still by ear' like you just said ?
That is today not necessary anymore. We are now living in 2003 and the
Verituner has been around for a number of years. leaving behind an army
of extremely happy tuners.
With all my respect for aural tuning and for you. (the other day my
battery was low and I had to tune aurally, the old fashioned way....I
grumbled but of course did the job and it was easier than ever before!
Using the Verituner has even improved my hearing)

Antares,
The Netherlands

see my web site : www.concertpianoservice.nl
and : www.grandpiano.nl